While exercising can help you with your cancer care, you will want a medical professional supervising your routine. Cancer and cancer treatments will impact your body, and it’s important to make sure your body can handle the exercise routine. Keep the program light – focus more on staying mobile and active than pushing your body to its limits.
Tips for a cancer-healthy exercise routine:
- You don’t have to do it all in one go. If you don’t have 30 minutes to spare, break up your walks into three 10-minute walks throughout the day.
- Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Knock out two chores at once by getting things done that require physical activity, such as gardening or cleaning.
- Look for exercise plans that were designed for cancer patients.
- If radiation therapy is part of your treatment, stay away from chlorinated pools as this can irritate your skin.
- Stop when your body tells you to.
Anderson Health and Fitness Center offers a special membership for our oncology patients that is valid for 12 weeks while undergoing treatment. Full membership privileges at Anderson Health & Fitness Center are provided, including cardiovascular, strength and conditioning, group exercise and use of the indoor track. Please call 601.553.6622 to learn more about this special membership. Approval from your physician is required.