Before any surgery or procedure that requires anesthesia, patients are evaluated by a Pre-Admission Testing nurse. During your pre- admission visit, a nurse will ask questions about your medical history, allergies and previous surgeries. The nurse will also tell you what to expect during surgery and recovery and give you instructions on how to prepare for your surgery. Depending on the type of surgery or procedure you are having, we may perform tests such as lab work, chest x-ray, anesthesia evaluation and EKG (heart tracing). Most PAT visits take less than an hour, depending on the tests required, and can be done days and sometimes weeks before your surgery date.
Please bring the following items to your appointment:
- A list of your current medications including strengths and dosages.
- A list of your past surgeries.
- A list of your current medical problems.
- Any questions you may have about your procedure.
- If you have had medical tests done at other facilities regarding this surgery, please bring the reports with you. You may also give us the location of where they were done so we may obtain a copy.
- Any forms you were asked to bring with you.
- A copy of your living will or advance directive to be placed in your medical record.