Visionary from the start, Dr. Jeff Anderson saw a need to improve health care for the people of East Central Mississippi and West Central Alabama. In 1929, he purchased the old Turner Hospital and renamed it Anderson Infirmary.
Anderson Infirmary operated 30 hospital beds, a laboratory and two operating rooms. On staff were three physicians and a half-dozen nurses and technicians. Dr. Anderson’s vision of improving the quality of medical care had begun.
He, too, was hit by the effects of the Great Depression. He mortgaged his home (now a historic landmark on 23rd Avenue) to keep the doors of Anderson Infirmary open.
Despite the hard times, Dr. Anderson provided care to all patients and payment was creative — ranging from promissory notes and fruits and vegetables to more. In many cases care was rendered for free. No one was turned away.